As our first full year in operation, 2018 was a year that really solidified the the direction of T.E.A. We opened the year as a team of two with big plans to create a program that not only provided real and meaningful services to the Rebel Nell Creative Designers, but also to have a measurable impact on our community. We had clear goals, we worked towards those goals with both successes and opportunities, we celebrated the wins and evaluated how we could evolve our non-profit into greatness. As 2019 begins, we’re incredibly excited for what the future has in store for T.E.A.; but first, a look back at 2018:
- In partnership with T.E.A., Rebel Nell hired their 20th woman out of shelter living.
- Collectively, we transitioned our 9th woman into the traditional workforce.
- In an effort to broaden our employment pool, we developed a relationship with Freedom House Detroit, a local non-profit that serves refugees. As a result, we hired and worked closely with Claudine, a refugee from Congo. She quickly overcame her barriers and is now a Rebel Nell graduate!
- T.E.A. focused on building out our supportive services program by developing meaningful relationships with a variety of local professionals. We now have a team of advisors that assist the Rebel Nell Creative Designers in the areas of law, housing assistance, financial advising, budget planning and credit maintenance, accounting, empowerment and personal goal setting...just to name a few!
- We grew by one team member, hiring a part-time Director of Development, Danielle Shields.
- With the assistance of the Michigan Women’s Foundation, Rebel Nell and T.E.A. secured scholarships to a local women’s leadership camp. The opportunity to attend the camp was provided to the daughters of Rebel Nell’s Creative Designers to empower the next generation of women.
- T.E.A. worked diligently to secure some serious funding. Through a combination of foundation grants, major donors, individual gifts and online giving we increased our funding by 1850% over last year!
- We utilized social media to help the Rebel Nell Creative Designers get their kids prepared for the new school year. With your help, we provided the kids with 100% of their back to school needs. We can’t thank you enough!
- Because life happens, we created a micro-loan program to further the support we provide to the Rebel Nell Creative Designers. We provided almost $10k in micro-loans to the Rebel Nell team members and saw a 100% payback rate!
- Three Rebel Nell Creative Designers set their sites on pursuing higher education in 2019. To help them in this endeavor, we dedicated our Giving Tuesday campaign towards funding their dreams. Through your generous donations, we doubled our 2017 campaign and raised $2,000!
We’re so proud of all that was accomplished this year; we couldn’t have done it without the support of our community and the incredible following that Rebel Nell has culminated. It’s because of you that we’re able to provide a meaningful impact on not only the lives of the Rebel Nell Creative Designers, but also on those of their family members. Your generosity and continued support does not go unnoticed! Thank you!
As I mentioned at the start, we’re excited for what 2019 has in store for us. We’ll continue on the path we’ve laid out, but that’s not the most exciting part. The most exciting part is seeing the success of each and every Rebel Nell team member. Knowing that through their efforts and hard-work, with a little bit of support from us at T.E.A., they’ll not only overcome their barriers in 2019, but also thrive in accomplishing their goals. We’re looking forward to their success!
Again, thank you for your continued support as we strive to improve the lives of women for years to come.
Rebel Nell Co-Founder + T.E.A. COO